• Pawsome Pet Care

Christmas food, drink and foliage hazards for dogs

By knowing what the dangers are, we can keep our dogs safe and well this Christmas.

Avoid a trip to the vets this Christmas by keeping these food, drink and foliage items away from your dog


Christmas is full of indulgence and fun but some of the items we may have in the house at this time of year can be hazardous for our dogs.


Here we have listed some of the main ones to be aware of:


Hazardous Christmas food and drink items for dogs


Chocolate


Chocolate is usually in abundance this time of year and although we enjoy it very much, it is toxic for dogs. Even a small amount can have severe consequences so do keep it out of reach, you may even wish to avoid leaving unwrapped chocolate under the Christmas tree just in case.


Raisins and sultanas


Raisins and sultanas are found in many of our festive foods including Christmas pudding, cake and mince pies but yet they are very toxic for our dogs and if eaten can cause kidney failure.


Onions and garlic


Whether cooked or uncooked, onions and garlic are just some of the Allium species of plants that can be toxic if consumed by our dogs. Vomiting and diarrhea are just some of the symptoms that can occur.


Turkey bones


If swallowed, turkey bones can get stuck in a dogs throat causing it to choke. The meat alone without skin is fine for most allergy-free dogs, but do check it well for smaller and consequently harder to find bones.


Alcohol


Ensure your dog doesn't help itself to any alcoholic drinks left unattended, alcohol in severe cases can result in coma due to low blood sugar and low body temperature.


Hazardous Christmas foliage for dogs


Poinsettia


If eaten, Poinsettia can be mildly poisonous, resulting in over drooling and licking of the lips due to irritation plus vomiting.


Mistletoe and holly


With mistletoe and holly it is mainly the berries which can be hazardous if eaten by our dogs, the berries can cause an upset stomach and make our dogs feel quite unwell.


Pine needles from real Christmas trees


As pine needles from real Christmas trees are so sharp they can cause damage to the insides if swallowed. If like us you have a real tree, try to pick up fallen needles regularly to avoid the risk of them getting caught in your dog's toys and fur and accidently eaten.


We hope you have found this a useful blog post, please note this list is not exhaustive and if you have any concerns regarding your dog's health over the festive period do consult your vet as soon as possible.


Wishing you all a safe and Merry Christmas.


Pop your email in the box below and I'll give you a little nudge when a new blog post goes live so you don't miss out.

Recent blog posts